Complex developments requiring special attention or extra-ordinary regulatory conditions, such as pipeline developments regulated by Indian Oil and Gas Canada, often warrant a project-specific Reclamation Plan. These plans take into account the sensitive environmental conditions identified through a pre-disturbance assessment, and make recommendations for construction and operation of the facility that make reclamation much more efficient and likely to succeed. Taking the time to create and adhere to a Reclamation Plan can save considerable costs and time by conducting activities with forethought. Gen7 Environmental Solution’s experience with various construction methods, reclamation best practices, and efficient monitoring combine to create effective Reclamation Plans.
Reclamation Planning and implementation services include:
- A pre-disturbance assessment, if one has not already been completed;
- A plan outlining reclamation activities to undertake during construction, operation, and reclamation phases, such as topsoil and vegetation salvage, weed assessments and management, and monitoring of sensitive species;
- A high quality survey / map supplementing the plan providing location-specific details;
- Supervision of reclamation-related activities during construction; and,
- Post construction reclamation assessments and monitoring, including interim reports with recommendations.
When an upstream oil and gas facility is decommissioned, the operator is legally required to obtain reclamation certification. In Alberta, except on federally administered land such as First Nation Reserves, Alberta Energy Regulator oversees the reclamation certification process required under the Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act (EPEA). The application process is heavily regulated and grounded in science-based assessments of landscape, vegetation and soils, together known as a Detailed Site Assessment (DSA). A Phase 1 Environmental Site Assessment (ESA) is required, which could lead to a Phase 2 ESA and Remediation (Phase 3 Assessment) if potential for contamination is identified. The results of these assessments and science-based investigations are used to inform the application, tools and database required as part of the application package. Gen7 Environmental Solutions has experience conducting all assessments and investigations, and interpreting the results as they apply to various reclamation criteria. In situations where a site is not ready for certification, we can create and implement a plan to achieve certification promptly and proficiently.
Reclamation Services include:
- Solid understanding and interpretation experience of the 2010 Reclamation Criteria for Wellsites and Associated Facilities for Native Grasslands, Cultivated Lands and Forested Lands;
- Completion of the Phase 1 ESA, and if required, completion of a Phase 2 ESA and associated remediation (also known as a Phase III Environmental Site Assessment);
- Completion of Detailed Site Assessments to determine reclamation progress and likelihood of certification;
- Generation of a reclamation plan and cost-estimate to achieve certification;
- Securing and supervising contractors for reclamation work if needed, such as noxious weed management and other specialty services that may be required; and,
- Preparation and submission of the full reclamation application package.